In the modern world we all should try to live sustainably. One of ways to do that is being conscious about food we eat. The simplest step that can be taken by anyone is eating locally.
Madeira is a big producer of bananas. And if it happens to you that you have too many bananas and they become overripe, you can use them to bake a simple and tasty banana bread.
A simple vegan banana bread recipe
- 3 very ripe bananas (the more ripe the better – we get more sweetness)
- 1/3 glass of vegetable oil (the best is rapeseed oil but any oil with neutral taste will be good)
- 2 – 4 spoons of sugar
- 50 ml of plant milk
- 1,5 glass of flour (the best and very healthy choice is the buckwheat flour, but it can be any other)
- 2 spoons of baking powder or baking soda
- 1 spoon of cinnamon
- a little bit of cardamom
- some almonds, nuts, seeds or dried fruit – anything you prefer
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Spread some oil on a cake mold.
In a big bowl mix flour, baking powder and spices.
Blend bananas, oil, milk and sugar to get a smooth mass. Pour it into a bowl with flour and mix. In the end add nuts or dried fruit and pour it into the cake mold.
Baking time should be between 45-50 minutes.
The best when served with peanut butter or plum jam.
And if you want to be even more eco-aware, after you peel the bananas you can feed some lizards with the peels!
Volunteer at Teatro Metaphora – Associação de Amigos das Artes
European Solidarity Corps
To know more: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity_en